Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas



I chose to read Lisa Kleypas's Secrets of a Summer Night on a whim. I was having difficulty finding a title that piqued my interest and was actually at my library. I have heard a lot about the Wallflower series and figured I would give another new author a try. I was not to be disappointed!Annabelle is in her fourth year of husband hunting and still sitting on the wall. Fallen on financial hard times after the death of her father, she is desperate to marry a rich peer. She enters into a pact with three other Wallflowers. Their plan is to help each other in any capacity to capture a husband.Simon is the son of a butcher who has gained a substantial fortune through the railroad and other investments. He has subtly been chasing Annabelle for the past two years, however he wants her in the capacity of mistress!I thoroughly enjoyed this story and I am looking forward to reading the next four in the series. I found myself with mixed feelings for Annabelle. My heart went out to her, the way she tried to hide her desperate financial situation, trying not to suffer from the humiliation of not having a dowry and knowing that if she didn't bag a husband she would inevitably have to become a mistress to one of the many men lurking about. I found myself upset with the way that she treated Simon, yes I know he wanted her to become his mistress but did she have to be so mean. She gets a real eye opener, which sobers her. I fell in love with Simon, well who wouldn't. He was brawny, to the point, and oh so sweet.
I am giving this one a 4.5

No comments:

 
Blog Design Created By Barbara Using V. Karolyi's A Little Like Summer