Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tied Up Tied Down by Lorelei James

...The strongest bonds are the ones unseen.


Businesswoman Skylar Ellison is firmly in control of her life. So getting tangled up with a sexy Wyoming cowboy—and conceiving a baby in the parking lot of a honky-tonk—wasn’t in her plan. Since it appears the daddy has taken off for greener pastures, the only thing to do is pull up her bootstraps and carry on alone.

Cattle rancher Kade McKay returns home after a year on the range, and is knocked for a loop when he learns he’s the father of a three-month-old baby girl. When Skylar refuses to marry him, Kade grits his teeth, moves in and plays house by her rules to prove he’s a man in for the long haul.
Despite Skylar’s insistence they are to remain strictly parenting partners, their old passions flare hot as a brush fire, spurring Kade to demand absolute sexual surrender from the headstrong woman. Skylar willingly submits her body to the hot-blooded cowboy but she’s leery of handing Kade the reins to her heart.

Can Kade convince Skylar the wicked sex games aren’t a temporary distraction? Or will he have to bust out the ropes to show her he wants to be tied to her…forever?

Warning: this book contains: no holes barred kinky sex scenes, wicked rope play, blunt language, and yowza! lots of hot cowboy nekkidness.

My Thoughts:

This book was so much more than I was expecting. It was sweet with the added erotic scenes. You are faced with a couple that is trying to learn how to come to terms with their feelings for each other while learning how to be parents. Skylar is a head strong woman who loves to be in control of all aspects of her life. When she is faced with a surprise pregnancy she is delighted. She decides to keep the paternity a secret thinking the father has a right to know before everyone else in town does and he is nowhere to be found. Once her secret is out she is faced with the whole McKay/West family and questions as to why she never said anything while being excepted into their family wholeheartedly. Kade is the ideal man and faced with the knowledge that he is a father he steps up to the plate and hits a home run. I loved his reaction when he first sees his little girl Eliza.

My Shelfari friend Janon highly recommended this one after reading it not too long ago. I have to admit that the title threw me for a loop. I seriously didn't want to buy this book because I thought it would have a major kink factor going on. I finally read the blurb the other day and being nostalgic over my own relationship with my husband I thought I would give it a try. Upon turning the first page I see Ms. James' Dedication, which reads:

To those of us who've realized a surprise pregnancy isn't the end of the world...but can be the start of something magical.

I can so relate to this dedication. Many of you may have read my story on CJ's blog the day that Cecile was visiting, for those of you who didn't here is the long and the short of it...My husband and I were practically a blind date. I wasn't looking to get involved or even date after moving to Iowa with my sister. I had just gone through a break up of a three year relationship. This didn't stop my sister and her new husband from meddling and throwing  a dinner party. Ron, my husband, stuck around after everyone left to hang out with us a little longer and some how we started playing Phase 10. In my family, especially if the kids are not around, this turns into a drinking game. After that night we were practically  inseparable. And not too long into it I realized I was pregnant. I have always said that my relationship with my husband started out much like the movie Fools Rush in starring Selma Hyak and Matthew Perry. We didn't instantly get married... I was having none of that. We did finally get married when our son was five months old. The road hasn't always been smooth, but what is life without those bumps and pot holes, but we do love each other very much and all three of our children have brought something special to our lives. My daughter is the only granddaughter my husband's mother has...hell she is the only granddaughter for three sets of grandparents. His son gave me a dose of what to expect from teenagers before my daughter was out of elementary school and has continued to add an extra spice to our lives...I just pray that he doesn't make me a grandmother anytime soon. And the baby, 7 years now, is showing me what raising a boy is really like. 

So with all that being said, Tied Up and Tied Down is going to hold a special place in my heart. 

Rating 4 stars

3 comments:

Lea said...

I haven't read this one Heather but I do like Lorelei James voice. She writes a very sexy story that tugs at the heart strings.

I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Great review!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww honey... hugssss!!!!!

I loved your story!! And to see that a book touched your heart just as equally, well... that is awesome!!! You did a great job at reviewing it and putting it out there. And you are right about that title... I was expecting some major kink!

You are the greatest honey!
Hugs to you and I hope your week is going great!

Juli D. Revezzo said...

I have to admit, Heather, I've been very intrigued by this one for a while. I guess I'll have to move it up on the wish list. Thanks! And for sharing your blind date story. Sounds like y'all have a great future together. I bet it won't be dull, for sure! Best wishes!

Vixen Pearl
Vixen's Reviews

PS. Got an award for you, Heather. If you'd like to peek, you can do so here.

 
Blog Design Created By Barbara Using V. Karolyi's A Little Like Summer