Thursday, October 15, 2009

Football--Proud Mommy Moment


I am having a "Proud Mommy" moment and just have to share!! My six year old son plays football. This is his first year and he is doing AWESOME, if I do say so myself. I don't normally put pictures of my kids out here, but I just can't contain my excitement over how well my son played this past Saturday. The season is coming to an end, but we still have two and a half games left before the playoffs...all being played next week. I have to say I was a little concerned at the beginning of the season after getting beating 30+ to 6 (can't remember the exact score, but needless to say we got our butts handed to us). Since that first game however we have been on a roll, winning the following three games. My son probably had his best game ever Saturday. My husband volunteered me to film all of the games so I don't get the chance to take pictures and have to rely on the generosity of other moms. Thankfully another mother was able to get a lot of really good pictures during the game.

This is where I spend 3 nights a week and my Saturdays... watching my son and his football team!! Who would have guessed that I would enjoy the game this much. Keep your eyes pealed for number 63!

In this picture Cody has at least two guys holding him back. This is a normal thing. Most of the teams like to line them up on him. He actually heard one coach tell his players to get him (number 63)!


This is the start of another play. We are playing Defense in this picture. You see two kids stacked in front Cody, however there are two more that didn't get into the picture. My husband tells me this play is called "the Slam". The pulled it several times on Cody, and this proud Momma has to say he got by them on more than one occasion to make the tackle behind their line!!


Look closely... you can just barely make out that 63 on the shoulder. Yep you got it, my son made this tackle!!


This was the first time the coaches let Cody run the ball. I don't know the names of all the positions, so I can't tell you what position he was in. If you know anything about football you can look at the second picture and that is basically where he is on the offensive line as well. He didn't make it ten yards on this play, but it made me proud! He followed this run up later on with a touchdown run of 30 (I think) yards. The touchdown didn't count. We got a penalty on the play... one of our little guys tackled someone from behind. It didn't get Cody down though. He came out of it and on the way home told me..."My touchdown may not have counted, but I gained my team a lot of yards!" How sweet is that!!

He played the entire game only coming out in the last 2 minutes, because he got hurt. I saw his Dad send him off the field and heard him crying. It was killing me not to be able to run down to the side lines and check on him. Thankfully for my sanity my sister was there and was able to go check on him. She said that he either pulled something in his leg or was stepped on/kicked during the tackle. He walked it off and by the end of the 2 min period he was fine. When we got home we found out what happened. He was stepped on, leaving bruises in the shape of cleats on his inner thigh. After seeing his bruises the first thing that popped into mind was Keanu Reeves in the Replacements in this scene...



Shane Falco "Pain heals"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E4Oy6pFKQ












Thanks for sharing my Proud Mommy moment with me!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great Heather! Love the photos and I love football and seeing boys fall in love with the game. I hope your son has many years of fun in football.

:o)

MsM

Lea said...

Wonderful post Heather, thank you for sharing the pictures of Cody!

Its so great when boys excel in a sport, very rewarding for them (and for Mom). I hope he continues to enjoy. ;)

L

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Oh they look so adorable... and little!!! Awww... and I love football!!! This is awesome Heather!! You need to be as pride as a peacock!! Thank you for sharing this with us!!! I am glad that you did!!!
Have a great day hon... and I hope your team wins the next 2 1/2 games!! Go #63!!!!

Heather D said...

Thanks Y'all!!

We call them Bobbleheads... their helmets are so big on their little necks. They crack me up at practice.

Jamie said...

I found your blog on Designs by Barbara (Love your layout!)...Future NFLer? I love The Replacements!

Anonymous said...

"Bobbleheads" - Hahahahaha!!!!!!

:o)

MsM

Heather D said...

Hi Confessionsofacountrygirl. Thank you for stopping by. I am so glad that you found my blog to your liking. Barbara did a wonderful job on it!!

 
Blog Design Created By Barbara Using V. Karolyi's A Little Like Summer