Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wicked by Gregory Maguire


I chose to read Wicked for a couple of reasons. It was originally placed in my list to get it off my shelf, but I later replaced it by another romance that I have been waiting to read for a little while. When I joined Play Book Tag group on Shelfari it fell into the July tag (Fairy Tales) and also worked well with the challenge (Tag it to the Max) nicely. Needless to say this book qualified for both challenges and gave me one less book to read before the end of August!
I found it interesting to be taken back to Oz. The Oz in this book is completely different from the one I remember in the movie. Maguire did an excellent job creating a life in which we can all sympathize with the "Wicked Witch of the West". Her mother was lonely, her father absent and obsessed with his calling, both were ashamed of their green skinned daughter. Elphaba is intelligent and found something that meant a lot to her, she strives to right the wrongs done by the corrupt Wizard of Oz. While I was bored reading this, it definitely put the Land of Oz into a whole new perspective.
rating 3 stars

1 comment:

Heather said...

I just got this for my birthday. Hopefully I will like it as much as you did.

 
Blog Design Created By Barbara Using V. Karolyi's A Little Like Summer