Friday, December 31, 2010

DIK Reading Challenge~~Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran



BEAUTY IS AS BEAUTY DOES...

Silver tongued Viscount Sanburne is London's favorite scapegrace. Alas, Lydia Boyce has no interest in being charmed. When his latest escapade exposes a plot to ruin her family, she vows to handle it herself, as she always has done. Certainly she requires no help from a too-handsome dilettante whose main achievement is being scandalous. But Sanburne's golden charisma masks a sharper mind and darker history than she realizes. He shocks Lydia by breaking past her prim facade to the woman beneath... and the hidden fire no man has ever recognized. But as she follows him into a world of intrigue, she will learn that the greatest danger lies within-- in the shadowy , secret motives of his heart.


My Thoughts:
I have planned on reading Meredith Duran for quite some time. Several of my internet reading buddies have raved on and on first about The Duke of Shadows and then about Bound by Your Touch. I finally found the opportunity to read one of Meredith Duran's books with the DIK reading challenge. Unfortunately for me the day after I picked up the book and actually started reading North GA was hit with an awful ice storm that left a lot of people stranded. Cars were literally left in the middle of interstates unable to move because of multiple accidents and empty gas tanks. I was not stranded on an interstate, thank goodness, but I did encounter much of the same problems a lot of people did in Atlanta, which aired nationally on the news...My mom was watching in West Virginia and was quite worried. I made the decision to park my car safely and walk the two miles home. Long story short, it was the wrong decision for me. I fell and broke my ankle in 7 places.
In the last two and a half weeks I have been trying to read Bound by Your Touch. I have been taking some pretty decent pain killers and suffering the side effects associated with them. I am hoping that being doped up is the reason the book did not hold my attention for more than a few minutes resulting in me almost not finishing the book in time to get this post completed. Unfortunately the rating may suffer all the same. I will definitely have to take Tracy's advice and reread it later on when I am not doped up. I am definitely not going to count Ms. Duran out, I still have two other books by her to read. If I find that those books satisfy my needs I will definitely revisit BBYT and its rating.

Lydia, the not so pretty older sister who finds solace in books and studies has been placed as the head of the family because the father is too busy with his own agenda to really give a darn about his three daughters. in an attempt to get some of her pride back after being rudely interrupted by Sanburne declares his piece of art a fraud in front of everyone, but the real slap in the face was his father was there as well.

Sanburne is so messed up in his head that he blames his father for his sister's situation. He has vowed to destroy his own life in attempts at making his father miserable for doing nothing about the predicament his sister is in. He acts like a spoiled and selfish little boy when all he has to do is face his father and ask the right questions. Now he is out to ruin Lydia and her family, only he finds he is intrigued by the bookish miss. Instead of publicly ruining her father and the rest of her family, he decides to work with her in the attempt to find out what really happened to the piece that he bought.

I felt like the story dragged on and on. Like I said I am hoping that the percocet, which seems to act like a downer in my system, is to blame for my ill feelings about the heroine and hero. I did enjoy the last quarter of the book which helped me keep the rating for Bound by Your Touch at a respectable 3 stars.   I really hope to revisit this review in the future and change my rating and give a more positive review.

rating:3 stars

3 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Heather, how awful about your ankle! I hope you're feeling better by now and adjusting to it! I had the same reaction to this book when I read it a year ago, so maybe it wasn't the percocets. I loved her first one, but was disappointed in Bound by Your Touch, I didn't really like the hero at all and I too thought he was really screwed up in the head! LOL! Get better soon and happy new year!

Lea said...

Happy New Year Heather!

((Hugs)) To you and I hope that ankle heals soon. ;)

Heather D said...

Thanks Julie! I don't feel so bad about my thoughts on the book now that I know I am not alone. I am feeling almost 100%, besides the fact that I still have the cast.

Happy New Years to you as well Lea! I have this cast for another 3 weeks and then I am suppose to go the Luke Skywalker boot. Thanks!

 
Blog Design Created By Barbara Using V. Karolyi's A Little Like Summer